The internship period for chemical engineering students is at least 40 working days. This internship can be done in two separate periods, at least 20 + 20 working days, or in different or the same institutions in the same period if deemed appropriate by the internship commission. At least one of the internships must be a Business Internship. Students can do their internship in the summer after completing their fourth semester. However, students who have completed the course load can do their internship in any period. Internships can be done in businesses and laboratories that employ chemical engineers in production, control, research or laboratory studies related to Chemical Engineering subjects. The internship commission decides whether the institution for the internship is suitable or not, upon the student's application. In the following registration period, the student who is doing an internship must register to the course with the code KM200 (CHE200) for Internship1 and KM300 (CHE300) for Internship2. Internship reports should be prepared to cover the activities carried out during the internship period. This report must be submitted to the internship commission no later than the 4th week of the academic year starting after the internship.
Steps to Follow During Application for Internship and Grading:
1. A printout is taken from the "Chemical Engineering Department Internship" page for the letter regarding the Compulsory Internship Bonus to be given if requested by the institution where the internship will be made. The relevant parts are filled in, signed and conveyed to the institution where the internship will take place. In addition, the Unemployment Fund Contribution Information Form for Internship / Workplace Training Fees is filled and delivered to the department of the faculty with the required documents.
2. Whether the institution applied for is suitable for internship is evaluated by one of the members of the internship commission according to the criteria given in the internship information section. The Internship_Workplace Training Application and Acceptance Form (English: Internship / Workplace Training Application and Acceptance Form_E) is completed in three copies in computer environment. In the field of activity of the place of internship (Sector; for example petrochemistry) in the form, type of the internship (laboratory or business) is written in the column next to the service area of the relevant company. The Information Form of the Institution for Internship and the Internship / Workplace Training Application and Acceptance Form are submitted to the Grading Officer of the Department by the 10th week of the Spring term at the latest. After the internship commission approves the designated internship location (after the Internship / Workplace Training Application and Acceptance Form is approved), the Internship / Workplace Training Application and Acceptance Form is sent to the relevant institution by the student. After the approval of the institution is obtained and the necessary signatures are completed, 1 copy of the department note works are delivered to the office officer. The other copy, along with the photocopy of the identity card and 2 photos, is delivered to the Faculty Student Affairs. This delivery must be completed at least 10 days before starting the internship. The third copy is given to the institution where the internship was made. Since the university will pay insurance for each internship course, form approval should not be required for a second institution.
3. Students who cannot find an internship place as a result of their own contacts should follow the announcements made in the department. The internship quotas sent to the department from different institutions are announced on the department boards and after the application period is completed, priority is given according to the grade average and the information about the desired number of interns are sent to the relevant institution. The student can determine the internship place in this manner, but it will be more useful to clarify the internship place with his own initiatives at an early date in order not to be in a difficult situation.
4. For the report to be prepared during the internship, the Internship Guide, which includes the cover pages and related documents, is downloaded and the relevant places are filled in the last 4 weeks of the education period. The picture and the lower part are sealed by the department's note affairs office, signed by one of the commission members, and received by the student together with the cardboard cover pages.
5. Internships are at least 20 + 20 = 40 working days, and both internships are done in one piece. Internship dates should not coincide with summer school course or exam dates. However, in case of necessity, additional studies such as weekend and evening shifts are documented and completed in 20 working days.
6. The internship report is prepared in the Report Writing Format specified in the internship information section of the department introduction page, and it is stamped by the authorities of the internship institution together with other documents. It is not necessary to stamp every page of the report. It is sufficient to stamp the page with information about the person who is in the beginning and the internship. Confidentially written Internship Certificate of Achievement received from the department and delivered to the workplace is in a sealed envelope, and this document and other relevant documents are delivered to the Department Note Affairs by hand or by mail. The report can be prepared in English, provided that the approval of the internship commission is obtained.
7. After submitting the report, the student has to follow the announcements made by the department lecturers, meet with the relevant people on time if called and correct the deficiencies in the report. The internship may be deemed unsuccessful without any call to the student due to reasons such as insufficient completion of the report or similar to other reports. This opinion will belong to the instructor who examined the report. The student whose internship is deemed unsuccessful must do the internship again in another term. It is not possible to edit the old report and suggest it again in another term.
8. In the following registration period, the student who is doing an internship must register to the course with the code KM200 (CHE200) for Internship1 and KM300 (CHE300) for Internship 2. Internship reports should be prepared to cover the activities performed during the internship period. This report must be submitted to the internship commission no later than the 4th week of the academic year starting after the internship is done. As a result of the evaluations made by the internship commission and the department members (evaluation form for the business internship and the evaluation form for the laboratory internship), the letter spacing is determined on the basis of Gazi University's catalog and recorded as letter grade in the system.
Important notes :
1. A Chemical Engineer must be employed in the institution where the internship is held and a stamp and signature must be put on the inner cover of the internship file.
2. If the internship dates of the students registered to the summer school coincide with the summer school calendar, their internship is considered invalid.
3. "Student internship questionnaire" and "employer questionnaire" should be submitted together with the internship report, internship certificate of achievement and internship cover page.
The 20 working-day laboratory internship that students are required to do is the study they will do in order to learn the application of the courses and laboratory studies they have taken in enterprises or in independent laboratories. The purpose of the laboratory internship; The aim of this course is to give students the practice of observing and realizing the use of modern analysis devices and experimental techniques applied using these devices. In addition, the ability to work individually and as a team together with occupational safety, professional ethics, environmental rules and quality awareness is considered as the knowledge, skills and experiences students are expected to acquire within the period of 20 working days.
The expected items in the report of the laboratory internship are listed below.
Business internship is a practical work that students will carry out in a company that produces in industry in order to see the practical applications of the theoretical engineering courses they have taken during their education. The purpose of the business internship; to gain professional experience by directly participating in modern production techniques, stages and business management stages in a real environment, identifying and solving problems that may occur. In addition, the ability to work individually and as a team together with occupational safety, professional ethics, environmental rules and quality awareness is evaluated within the framework of the knowledge, skills and experiences expected by students within a period of 20 working days.
The expected elements in the report of the business internship are listed below.
Important Note: The internship report prepared in accordance with the format above is bound using the report cover prepared by the faculty (available from the department student affairs). No spirals are used for binding.